NEWS AND RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
[21.11.2018] Aki Haapaniemi's PhD defence, Aki's thesis (open access).
[14.10.2018] New blog text on the design of concert halls (in Finnish).
[8.10.2018] Author in 4 papers and a talk in IOA Auditorium Acoustics. Check papers here.
[16.8.2018] A talk in The future of immersive sound event.
[12.6.2018] I was an editor of a special issue on Sound and Music Computing.
[29.5.2018] After extremely busy spring, one AES conference paper published.
[29.1.2018] New web pages of Aalto Acoustics Lab has been published.
[28.1.2018] New blog text (in Finnish)
[12.10.2017] I'll be in a PhD committee at Aalborg University.
[30.9.2017] My blog (in Finnish) at Aalto blogs.
[23.5.2017] I'm honored to be an AES fellow.
[17.2.2017] New article on sensory evaluation of car audio is published.
[2.2.2017] Open PhD student positions! ESR02 and ESR13 are in my team.
[9.1.2017] Final report of a hearing protection proto for musicians.
[10.11.2016] I gave a plenary lecture in Acoustics2016 in Brisbane, Australia.
[6.10.2016] G Livelab is opened, I designed the virtual acoustics system for this venue.
[12.9.2016] I gave a keynote in ISMRA2016 in La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
[24.7.2016] A new article on acoustics of concert halls is published in JASA.
[6.6.2016] A brief interview at TEK120 - 120 osaajaa (in Finnish).
[30.5.2016] A blog text (in Finnish) that I wrote for the Academy of Finland.
[22.4.2016] Our team has released a free SDMtoolbox for Matlab.
[21.3.2016] A new article on emotional impact of music in concert halls is published in JASA. press release
[13.2.2016] How binaural audio can be used as a navigation aid, read our new publication and press release.
[30.11.2015] A blog text (in Finnish) on innovations in academia.
[24.11.2015] A presentation at Sensecamp'15 -- Spatial Audio in Denmark.
[19.11.2015] A new article on auditory distance perception in concert halls is published in JASA.
[29.10.2015] A pile of papers presented in IOA Auditorium Acousics in Paris.
[12.10.2015] A 2h lecture in SONORUS workshop in Göteborg, Sweden.
[24.8.2015] One-hour radio interview (in Finnish), link (Yle Areena).
[15.7.2015] A popular science event at Pori's SuomiAreena, videos (in Finnish).
[21.5.2015] A blog text (in Finnish) that I wrote for the Academy of Finland.
[1.4.2015] A new article The acoustics of vineyard halls, is it so great after all? published in Acoustics Australia.
[10.3.2015] A new article Auditory distance presentation in an urban augmented-reality environment published in ACM TAP.
[26.2.2015] Our new popular science article on concert hall acoustics in Europhysics News.
[6.1.2015] More international teaching this week in a BATWOMAN workshop in Detmold, Germany.
Research, Publications, and Scientific Activities
Virtual Acoustics, i.e. concert hall acoustics, auralization, sound rendering, spatial hearing, HRTFs, room acoustics modeling, perception, psychoacoustics,
virtual auditory environments, sounds in virtual reality, auditory displays, eyes-free user interfaces, reverberation algorithms, multichannel reproduction,
reverberation enhancement ...
See more on Virtual Acoustics research team's publications in Google Scholar.
Major research projects
Other major scientific activities
I'm one of the four responsible professors of the new master's programme in Acoustics and Audio Technology. In particular, I'm the responsible lecturer at the following courses:
In the past I was responsible lecturer at the following courses:
- CS-E5500 - Acoustical Measurements
- CS-C2000 - Ihminen havaitsijana
- ELEC-E5630 - Acoustics and Audio Technology Seminar
- CS-E5500 - Acoustical Measurements, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- ELEC-E5630 - Acoustics and Audio Technology Seminar, Spring 2018, Spring 2016
- CS-C2000 - Ihminen havaitsijana, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
- ME-E2420 - Room Acoustics, Spring 2016
- ME-E4200 Experimental User Interfaces, Spring 2014, (for EIT ICT students, Fall 2013)
- T-111.5501 - Seminar on Media Technology (visualization on acoustical measurements), results in Jasa-EL
- T-111.5400 - Keinotodellisuus (Virtual Reality) (4 op) L (2008,
- T-111.5600 - Special assingment in digital media (Digitaalisen median erikoistyö) (2-4 op) L (2007
- T-111.5080 - Seminar, interactive digital theatre (4-8 op) L (2006)
- T-111.590 - Seminar, 3D sound rendering. (2002)
Acoustics and Audio Technology – Master's programme CCIS – WebOodi –
- Chairman of the Vivo Symphony Orchestra (national youth orchestra)
- Member of the board at KAUTE foundation
- Member of the Board of Trustees at the Finnish Science Centre Foundation (HEUREKA)
- Organizing conferences, so far involved in
AES 55th conf., BNAM2014, AES 45th conf.,
EAA Symposium on Auralization, DAFx2008,
AES 30th conf., Euronoise2006, BNAM04,
The 3rd CAVE-Programming Workshop, AES 22nd conf.,
- Member of Acoustical Society of Finland, Audio Engineering Society (AES),
Acoustical Society of America (ASA),
IEEE Computer Society, ACM/SIGGRAPH Helsinki chapter
Some past projects and results
I was chosen to be a EspooAmbassador 2013, see more and a press article
Muusikon elektroninen kuulonsuojaus, funded by the The Finnish Work Environment Fund (01.09.2015 - 31.08.2016). See the final report.
Audio Augmented Reality, funded by the Nokia Technologies
BLAAST– a spin-off company based on our research
Management committee member in Cost Action TD0804 on Soundscapes
http://www.hipui.com Development of eyes-free user interfaces for mobile devices (2008-2011)
Intuition - Network of excellence in vIrtual reality aNd virTUal environments applIcaTIONs for future workspaces (2004-2008)
Uni-verse - A distributed interactive audio-visual virtual reality system (2004-2007)
Auralization in slow motion. DEMO
EVE - The Experimental Virtual Environment at HUT (1999-2006)
SARA - Spatial audio and room acoustics (2004-2007)
TAKU - Modeling, desing, and control of acoustics of closed spaces. Tekes funded project 1999-2002. Final report in Finnish and in English of the whole VÄRE program (VÄRE = Control of vibration and sound 1999-2002)
DIVA - Digital Interactive Virtual Acoustics (1997-2002)
HeCSE - Helsinki Graduate School in Computer Science and Engineering (1998-2002). The description of my Doctoral Thesis.
Marienkirche - A visual and aural demonstration film (Presented in SIGGRAPH'98, Electronic Theater).
Demo Sounds in VRML (1998)
NETVE - NETworked Virtual Environments (1997)
family, running, disc golf (download ringtones), used to play clarinet in (Retuperän WBK), ...
- [14.11.2014] I gave a 4h lecture in PhD School on Advanced Psychoacoustics in Aalborg, Denmark.
- [22.9.2014] I was interview for a BBC Radio 4 program called "In Search of the Ideal Music Venue".
- [6.8.2014] I gave a talk in CHRG in Chicago, IL.
- [15.6.2014] Our work featured in a blog of the Huffington Post
- [3.6.2014] A new article on studio control room acoustics, check [here (JAES)] and listen to a demo
- [29.5.2014] Two new articles published in Jasa-EL, check [here] and [here]
- [7.5.2014] I gave the Vern O. Knudsen Distinguished Lecture (90 min) in the ASA 167th meeting
- [6.5.2014] YLE Tiede made a good article of our research, including a long interview
- [28.3.2014] Two radio interviews related to our PNAS article, listen to YLE/Kantapöytä and YLE1/Tiedeykkönen
- [3.3.2014] Our article on music dynamics in concert halls published in PNAS. See press release (lehdistötiedote)
- [17.1.2014] A blog post (in Finnish), related to Tekniikanpäivät2014 presentation.
- [2.1.2014] A review article of our work in Physics Today. Read online.
- [29.11.2013] I participated to live radio show on the quality of violins. Listen to it.
- [29.8.2013] I was chosen to be a EspooAmbassador 2013, see more and a press article
- [5.8.2013] An article (in Finnish) of the acoustics of Helsinki Music Centre (Musiikkitalo)
- [10.6.2013] I gave a plenary lecture in ICA2013 and a keynote in ISRA2013
- [5.6.2013] I received the ICA Early Career Award in ICA2013, read more in Finnish or English
- [25.5.2013] I played demos to the President of Finland [in Finnish]
- [15.5.2013] A concerto for piano and the loudspeaker orchestra at Design museum.
- [26.4.2013] Good or bad acoustics in YLE/Strada and full "uncut" interview.
- [15.4.2013] A live radio interview at Kultakuume program.
- [2.3.2013] Article on the new spatial sound rendering method SDM.
- [8.2.2013] The PhD defense of Raine Kajastila.
- [2.2.2013] Article on the new analysis method for spatial impulse responses in JASA.
- [24.1.2013] Article on the acoustics of Epidaurus is published in AAuA.
- [30.11.2012] Another TV interview (in Finnish) on our work.
- [24.11.2012] YLE TV News on our European measurement tour.
- [11.11.2012] Story (in Finnish) on our European measurement tour. Listen also to a short radio interview.
- [8.11.2012] Article on preferences and sensory profiles of concert hall acoustics is published in JASA.
- [3.11.2012] My installation lecture on Virtual Acoustics.
- [21.10.2012] A presentation (in Finnish) on concert hall acoustics, presented at Tiedeviikko 2012 .
- [26.6.2012] Article on modeling rough surface reflections is published in JASA.
- [8.6.2012] I got a major funding from the Academy of Finland for 2012-2016.
- [1.6.2012] I started as an associate professor at Aalto SCI, Dept. of Media Tech. Announcement
- [17.4.2012] Our article on localization of reflections is published in AAuA.
- [13.2.2012] I participated to live radio show on the acoustics of the Helsinki Music Centre. Listen to it.
- [24.11.2011] I gave a keynote speech in ISVA2011 on Recording and Reproducing Concert Hall Acoustics for Subjective Evaluation.
- [8.11.2011] I was interviewed for Radiaattori (Finnish science program). Listen to it.
- [27.10.2011] I received
Academy of Finland Award in the Science Gala.
- [21.10.2011] Paper by Pätynen et al. won the Best Student Paper Award in
- [10.10.2011] Article on lateral reflections in concert halls published in
- [21.09.2011] I had a presentation on the acoustics of Epidaurus in the
Conference of Ancient Theaters
- [01.09.2011] In opening seromony of the academic year I received the
Aalto Initiative of the Year Award
- [20.08.2011] Sensory evaluation of concert halls is discussed in our
- [28.06.2011] I presented a
paper on the seat-dip effect in
- [10.06.2011] Article on the quality of early reflection in concert halls published in
Jasa EL, see also
- [21.05.2011] Our paper on
frequency responses in concert halls presented in IOA
Auditorium Acoustics conference. The paper received the first
ARUP Acoustics Bursary Award
updated November 11th, 2018