Postdoctoral and Doctoral Research Positions in Helsinki, Finland
The Artificial Intelligence and Software Systems research group, led by Prof. Dr Jussi Rintanen, has a number of position openings for postdoctoral researchers and Ph.D. students.
Positions are offered on two tracks, with the possibility of changing between the two.
The basic-research track focuses on research on fundamental topics on A.I., including constraint solving, automated reasoning, and automated planning and decision-making.
The applications track focuses on cutting-edge applications of A.I. technologies, with intelligent software systems and their automated construction as the main objective. The research group is collaborating with a project commercializing break-through A.I. based software synthesis technology (see aitocode).
We are offering:
- Solving SAT and other constraint satisfaction problems:
proof systems, CDCL and its extensions, SAT modulo Graphs
- Methods for plan/program/controller synthesis:
Scalable constraint-based methods for solving large-scale synthesis problems, especially in settings with incomplete information and partial observability
- constraint satisfaction with complex data:
Methods for constraint satisfaction with complex datatypes, including relational, set constraints, as well as constraints with recursive data types; Domain: automated software synthesis
- software verification and validation:
Verification and validation of high-level software specifications with complex data, with applications to information systems in banking & finance, healthcare, and other safety-critical areas; Domain: automated software synthesis
We are looking for:
- an exceptional combination of basic and applicative research opportunities
- long-term postdoctoral positions with durations of 1, 2, and 3 years, depending on experience and qualifications
- fully funded Ph.D. student positions (competitive salary, tuition fees covered)
- excellent career progression opportunities both on the academic and the commercial track
Helsinki, the capital of Finland, is a regionally leading technology hub with high living standards. It ranks as one of the most livable cities world-wide. Pleasant summers with long sunlight hours are in a dramatic contrast with cold and dark winters perfect for productively focusing on research to create tomorrow's advanced computing technologies.
- research experience in one or more of: constraint programming, state-space search technologies, automated reasoning, automated decision-making
- excellent programming skills in at least one modern programming language, with a willingness to acquire practical command of functional programming
- insightful attitude to CS and AI research, with preference for candidates with a deep theoretical understanding, advanced understanding of computing in general, as well as interest in real-world deployment of research outcomes.
Aalto University is the leading technological university in Finland. The computer science department is exceptionally strong also in the European scale, with a research staff of close to 400 and about 45 professors. The official language of Aalto CS is English, with half of the research staff coming from outside Finland, both Europe and overseas.
Accepting applications until all positions are filled!!! (January 17, 2018: 2 positions open)
For more information contact Jussi.Rintanen@aalto.fi