Siddharth Rao (Sid)
P.S:Currently (begining from September 2016 till July 2017), I am a working at European Digital Rights (EDRi) as a Ford- Mozilla Open Web Fellow.
Room T-A137 in Computer Science Building,
Konemiehentie 2, Otaniemi campus area, Espoo
- Postal Address:
Aalto University School of Science,
Department of Information and Computer Science,
P.O. Box 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
- firstname dot lastname at aalto dot fi
- Personal domains:
- Portfolio and blog
I am a research assistant (doctoral candidate) under Prof. Tuomas Aura
in the Secure Systems Group
Prior to that I have worked at security research groups of Bell Labs - Nokia
, Helsinki Institute of Information Technology
and Fidelity Management and Research. USA
I was an Erasmus Mundus NordSecMob
student for the year 2013-15.
- Security, Privacy and Cryptography: I am broadly inclined towards solving the privacy and security issues related to networking communication in general. Majority of my work
recently is on cellular networks and signalling protocols (SS7 and Diameter).
- Unified Internet or Open Web: I strongly believe in open and uniform access to the Internet throughout the globe. In this realm, I am very much interested to
study the Internet services and infrastructure specifically of the developing countires based on various analysis and measurement methods.
Master of Science (Technology), Security and Mobile Computing
Aalto University, Finland.
Master of Science in Engineering (Cryptography)
University of Tartu, Estonia.
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science and Engineering)
Visvesvaraya Technological University, India
Analysis and Mitigation of Recent Attacks on Mobile Communication Backend (Master's thesis)
Peer reviewed conferences
Unblocking stolen mobile phones using SS7-MAP vulnerabilities
Siddharth Rao, Silke Holtmanns*, Ian Oliver *, Tuomas Aura
The 14th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications, (IEEE TrustCom-15).
User Location Tracking Attacks for LTE Networks Using the Inteworking Functionality.
Silke Holtmanns*, Siddharth Rao, Ian Oliver*
The 15th International IFIP TC6 Networking Conference, (NETWORKING 2016).
We know where you are! - Utilising the telecom core network for user tracking.
Siddharth Rao, Silke Holtmanns*, Ian Oliver*, Tuomas Aura
The 8th International Conference on Cyber Conflict, (CyCon 2016).
Privacy in LTE network - Reviewing the fallacies of Diameter protocol.
Siddharth Rao, Bhanu Teja Kotte, Silke Holtmanns*,
The 9th EAI International Conference on Mobile Multimedia Communications, (IW5GS 2016).
Manuscripts (Ongoing work)
*Dr. Silke Holtmanns and Dr. Ian Oliver are my supervisors from Bell Labs - Nokia security research team.
- Chota Recharge and the chota Internet: Studying the mobile Internet in India.
An essay selected by The Centre for Internet and Society (CIS), India
Siddharth Rao, Kiran M Kumar
- Empirical evaluation of mobile network services in developing countries: Exploratory analysis of mobile Internet measurement data from India.
Siddharth Rao, Kiran M Kumar, Jukka Manner, Tuomas Aura
- Privacy preserving mechanism for unstructured short-text datasets.
Siddharth Rao, Rakshith Shetty, Mrinal Kanti Das
- "Detach Me Not" - DoS Attacks Against 4G Cellular Users Worldwide from your Desk (Blackhat Europe, November 1st-4th, 2016)
Media reports: [CyberScoop], [Dark Reading]
- Measuring privacy risk and implied consent in app permissions. (Mozilla Festival, October 29th -30th, 2016)
- Let us build our own offline Internet. (Mozilla Festival, October 29th -30th, 2016)
- "Data and the goliath"- Who are the goliaths? (Mydata 2016, August 31st - September 2nd, 2016)
- The known unknowns of SS7 and beyond. (Troopers 2016, March 14th -18th, 2016)
I (re)tweet regularly.