Prof. Antti Oulasvirta
Antti Oulasvirta leads the Computational Behavior Lab (cbl.aalto.fi) at Aalto University and the Interactive AI research program at FCAI (Finnish Center for AI).
Prior to joining Aalto, he was a Senior Researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Informatics
and the Cluster of Excellence on Multimodal Computing and Interaction at Saarland university.
He received his doctorate in Cognitive Science from the University of Helsinki in 2006, after which he was a Fulbright Scholar at
the School of Information in University of California-Berkeley in 2007-2008 and a Senior Researcher at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT in 2008-2011.
During his postgraduate studies in 2002-2003, he was an exchange student at UC
Berkeley's Neuropsychology Lab.
He was awarded the ERC Starting Grant (2015-2020) for research on computational design of user interaces.
Dr. Oulasvirta serves as an associate editor for ACM TOCHI and has previously served International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, as well as served as a column editor for IEEE Computer.
He frequently participates in the paper committees of HCI conferences, including the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI).
His work has been awarded the Best Paper Award and Best Paper Honorable Mention at CHI fifteen times between 2008 and 2022.
He has held keynote talks at NordiCHI'14, CoDIT'14, EICS'16, IHCI'17, ICWE'19, Chinese CHI'19, and IS-EUD'23.
He is a member of ELLIS (European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems). In 2019, he was invited to the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters.
He was a SICSA Distinguished Visiting Fellow in 2011 and in 2022.
Awards and Recognition
- 2022 SICSA Distinguished Visiting Fellow
- 2022 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention x 2
- 2019 Invited to the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters
- 2019 MobileHCI Best Paper Honorable Mention
- 2019 Member of ELLIS (European Laboratory of Learning and Intelligent Systems)
- 2018 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention x 2
- 2017 CHI Best Paper Award x 2
- 2016 CHI Best Paper Award
- 2015 CHI Best Paper Award
- 2015 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention
- 2014 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention
- 2013 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention
- 2013 MUM Best Paper Nomination
- 2013 MobileHCI Most Influential Paper Award
- 2011 CHI Best Paper Award
- 2011 MobileHCI Best Note Award
- 2011 SICSA Distinguished Visiting Fellow
- 2009 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention
- 2008 CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention
We organize a Human-Computer Interaction major in the CCIS Master's program, with a specialization in computational methods.
- ELEC-E7852 Computational Design and Interaction (our flagship course)
- ELEC-D7011 Human Factors Engineering (undergraduate introduction to human factors engineering)
- ELEC-E7861 Research Project in Human-Computer Interaction
- ELEC-E7870 Advanced Topics in Human-Computer Interaction
See Aalto MyCourses for details.
We always have several exciting Master's thesis topics. To inquire topics, please email me with your CV, transcript, and letter of interest.
We also offer internship possiblities for Aalto and foreign students.
Postdocs and PhD Students
Postdocs (current and former)
- Dr. Hee-Seung Moon, intelligent ML (joined from Yonsei)
- Dr. Joon-Gi Shin, interaction design (joined from KAIST)
- Dr. Danqing Shi, visualization and behavioral modeling (joined from Tongi)
- Dr. Suyog Chandramouli, cognitive science (joined from Indiana)
- Dr. Zhenhui Peng, intelligent systems (now prof at Sun Yat-Sen University)
- Dr. Xiuli Chen, cognitive science (now at Yelp!)
- Dr. Aurelien Nioche, cognitive science (now at Glasgow Uni)
- Dr. Kashyap Todi, interactive systems (now at Meta)
- Dr. Luis Leiva, human-computer interaction and ML (now prof at Uni Luxembourg)
- Dr. Jussi Jokinen, computational cognitive science (now prof at Uni Jyvaskyla)
- Dr. Niraj Dayama, optimization (now at Arcada)
- Dr. Sunjun Kim, interaction techniques (now prof at DGIST)
- Dr. Markku Laine, web technology
- Dr. Byungjoo Lee, modeling and input techniques (now prof at Yonsei University)
- Dr. Ai Nakajima, interactive systems (now research scientist at CSC)
- Dr. Mathieu Nancel, input devices (now research scientist at INRIA Lille)
- Dr. Gilles Bailly, input and menus (now research director at CNRS)
- Dr. Daryl Weir, modeling (now data scientist at Futurice)
PhD students (current):
PhD students (graduated):
- Morteza Shiripour (Fall 2022), Aalto University
- Maria Montoya Freire (2nd supervisor), Aalto University
- Janin Koch, Aalto University (now prof. at University of Paris Saclay)
- Anna Feit, Aalto University SIGCHI Best Dissertation Award 2019 (now prof. at Saarland University)
- Srinath Sridhar (2nd supervisor), Saarland University, defended 2016 (now prof. at Brown University)
- Myroslav Bachynskyi, Saarland University, defended 2016 (now prof. at Bergen)
- Kumaripaba Athukorala (2nd supervisor), University of Helsinki, defended 2016 (now at Rovio)
- Eeva Raita, University of Helsinki, defended 2015 (now at Futurice)
- Joanna Bergstrom-Lehtovirta, Aalto University, defended 2014 (now prof. at University of Copenhagen)
- Airi Lampinen, University of Helsinki, defended 2014 (now prof. at Stockholm University)
- Antti Salovaara, University of Helsinki, defended 2012 (now senior lecturer at Aalto ARTS)
Note! We are always looking for outstanding PhD students and postdocs. See our group page.
Computer Science Building, Department of Communications and Networking, Konemiehentie 2, 13000 Aalto University, Finland
Email: firstname dot lastname at aalto dot fi